Where does the time go? Rylan will be turning 9 months this week and it certainly doesn't feel like she's been with us that long. Sorry I haven't updated lately, but I've been going away a lot and haven't really had time to get on the computer. As soon as I'm settled at home again, I'll be sure to add some new pics.
She is doing really well. Her surgery site is healing nicely and she has been a lot better with the scar massage, thanks to a helpful hint about a song from a fellow family of a daughter with a cleft. We don't go back to see Dr. Morrissey until the middle of August, but I don't really need him at the moment anyway. The only thing I am wondering, which maybe he will be able to give some advice on, is how to teach Rylan to suck. Since she has been using the Haberman since she was born, she's never really had to suck. When I try to give her a regular bottle, she tries to drink it like normal, which involves kind of making a fishy face, opening and closing her mouth. I decided that maybe I just need to keep having her work on it, even if it means she is eating really slowly. Today she had a few moments were it looked like she was sucking and there were actual bubbles forming in the milk, so maybe we're making progress. We could just keep using the Habermans, but she needs to learn to suck to drink from a sippy cup anyway, so why not make the transition with the bottle.
Our other big project has been trying to get Rylan to go to bed at night without falling asleep to her bottle. She has always been a really good sleeper, but she has needed to be asleep before we lay her down, otherwise she would scream and scream until she could get the bottle again. While it isn't a big deal to me, it has made naps also a problem because she will only sleep to her bottle then too. She also has never had a consistent bed time, since we wouldn't put her down until she feel asleep, which could be anywhere form 7 - 10 at night. About 2 weeks ago, we started getting her ready for bed at 7, reading her a story, feeding her a bottle, and laying her in her crib awake. She screamed for almost an hour the first night and has slowly cried less and less. Tonight was the first night where I layed her down and she didn't let out one cry. She is currently sleeping soundly. Woohoo!
Pictures and videos to come soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment