Sorry I haven't written in awhile, but we had a very busy weekend.
On Friday we had Rylan's post-op appointment with Dr. Morrissey. He snipped some of her stitches and cleaned things up a little bit. He said that everything is looking good and told us her nose will drain for a little bit but just to keep cleaning it out. We were given the name of a scar cream to rub on her face twice a day that he wanted us to start on Monday. (We discovered yesterday that this is going to be a two-person job because she does not like people touching her face). He said that she will probably need minor work on her nose down the line and possibly some fix-ups on her lip, but we will just have to wait and see. We go back to see him on August 17th.
I think her lip looks really good and am excited to see how it heals. It was a tough decision whether to use Dr. Morrissey or drive down to CHOP, but now I am feeling much better about our decision. He is very good at what he does, although he does not work strictly with clefts. Next stop for us is to start seeing the dentist/orthodontist.
We found that if we sang loud and silly it would distract Mia during the scar gel rubbing. We'd also sing (To the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat) "Rub, rub, rub the scar, rub it every day. Helps to keep it moisturized and help it fade away." lol We used the grape scented Mederma and I think she liked the way it smelled - she'd open her mouth to try and eat it, so we'd have to be careful. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! Rylan loves things that are grape-flavored so she would probably try and do the same thing. I'll have to try out your song later today.
ReplyDelete