Change of Plans

Went back to the surgeon yesterday and now we have a new plan of attack to fix Rylan's lip.  He took the old tape off her face (rougher than I would have done it) and applied new tape, basically pulling her lips completely together.  Even her nose straightened out and both nostrils looked normal.  I couldn't believe it!  Having seen how much progress the tape was making, he decided that the nasoalveolar mold may not be necessary to fix the nose.  He did however say that he thought we were going to need to do a lip adhesion.  This is a surgery where he will stitch the two sides of the lips together and once they heal (about two months) he will go in and do the final cosmetic lip repair.  He wants to see Rylan again in 3 weeks to make a final decision, but meanwhile we are going to move forward as if the surgery will happen, filling out the appropriate paperwork and such.

I certainly am nervous about Rylan having to have surgery and as always, I wanted to learn more about a lip adhesion.  I did a lot of reading online and spoke with other parents through message boards.  I feel more calm knowing what to expect immediately after the surgery and knowing how much of a difference this surgery will make in her final appearance.

Look how far her lip has come!

No comments:

Post a Comment